Bright, plump, youthful skin? Yes, please! I’m ashamed to admit that for years all I would do to cleanse my face in the evening was swipe a makeup remover wipe over my skin and call it a night! Or even worse, sleep in my makeup! What was I thinking? Please tell me I’m not the only one?! Luckily, I recently discovered double cleansing which has made a HUGE difference in the appearance of my skin! I’m also not so secretly hoping it reverses years of bad skincare habits!! Hey, a girl can dream right?
If you haven’t heard of double cleansing it’s basically what it sounds like, cleansing twice! I promise it doesn’t feel like twice the work! Double cleansing is the process of washing your face with an oil based cleanser first followed by a water based cleanser second. The oil based cleanser removes all makeup, bacteria, sweat, and everyday pollutants from the skin. The water based cleanser will then come in to really dig deep in your pores and remove any impurities. Using an oil based cleanser first allows your water based cleanser to really work at giving you bright, healthy, youthful skin rather than working to remove makeup and excess dirt only! Since your face is truly cleansed your skin will absorb the rest of your skincare products way better!
Benefits of Double Cleansing:
- Great for those who wear a lot of makeup and live in the city where there is more pollution
- Reduces blackheads and breakouts
- Brightens complexion
- Skincare products like serums, moisturizers, retinol, etc will penetrate deeper into the skin allowing them to work better
- Great for clearing up acne prone skin
Tips when double cleansing:
- If you have a full face of makeup on during the day you may have to wash with your oil based cleanser more than once. Make sure to use your oil cleanser until you are sure that all your makeup is off and all the dirt from the day feels washed away!
- Use your cleansing oil on a dry face, make sure your hands are dry as well when applying and then rinse with warm water
- Use your fingertips to cleanse with your water based cleanser (the second cleanser you’ll use) for at least one minute but no longer than two minutes! Make sure to gently massage your skin rather than scrubbing.
- Cleanse in an upward and outward motion to improve circulation, encourage skin to stay tight, and to get a deeper cleanse.
- Use lukewarm water rather than cold or hot water
- Don’t forget to cleanse your jawline and neck too!
- If your skin is really dry you may only be able to double cleanse at night
- If you have super sensitive skin or rosacea prone skin ask your dermatologist if double cleansing would be right for you before trying this method to prevent your skin from over drying
My final tip for double cleansing is… ditch the makeup remover wipes!! I know! Don’t kill the messenger! I know it seems impossible but makeup wipes are too harsh on your skin. Plus, they are really just causing you to rub bacteria and other gunk into your pores rather than removing it. Trust me on this one! My skin improved drastically once I ditched my makeup wipes!
Favorite oil based cleanser for all budgets:
- Neutrogena Ultra Light Face Cleansing Oil $10
- Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Oil with Coconut and Argan Oils $14
- DHC Deep Cleansing Oil $28
- Tula No Makeup Replenishing Oil $32
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Botanical Cleansing Oil $32
- Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil $35
- Dermalogica PreCleanse $45
- La Mer The Cleansing Oil $95
Favorite water based cleansers for all budgets:
- Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser $8
- OleHenriksen Truth Daily Cleanser $12
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser $14
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser $20
- Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser $26
- Tula The Cult Classic Purifying Cleanser $28
- Perricone MD High Potency Classics Nutritive Cleanser $35
- Kate Somerville Delikate Soothing Cleanser $38
- Dermalogica Clearing Skin Wash $62
Hope this helps y’all! Let me know if you decide to double cleanse, I’d love to hear about your experience!